Thursday, November 16, 2006

hmmm...

OK, things are not going ever so brilliantly with this...

Although I have more to post, the word count is only 12,720 so far, which is nowhere near enough to win- the finishing post is 50,000 and you have to get past it in order to win. Luckily hundreds or thousands of others will achieve this anyway though.

However I also have another problem which is that I don't think the idea of my novel is enough to make 50,000 words out of in the first place. Not enough sub plots. (Not any sub plots. It's looking very monochrome at the moment.)

Now, the NaNoWriMo ethos (namely 50,000 words) would definitely dictate that the solution is just to make up something and throw it in, as fast as possible. Probably something with pirates, which would be tremendous fun, and I would love to do that, but do not want to. What I want to do is just carry on and get this free-form love story written, even if it turns out short.

So, new backup aim: finish the story however short its length. Worth a bar of Green and Black's if not an official win.